Monday, October 8, 2007

#8 RSS

Really Simple Syndication or Redundant Subscription Service?
Yes it really is pretty simple and I can see how time-saving it could be if you had sites that you regularly access and topics you want to keep updated on it's just that I don't tend to use the internet that way at the moment. The honest truth is that I don't have time at work or at home to keep my finger on the pulse of whatever's going on in cyberspace. I know, I know there's heaps of relevant interesting, important, clever and amusing stuff being posted all the time and I'M MISSING OUT but then I'm also missing out on getting enough exercise, reading all the good books that come across the circ. desk, writing my novel, visiting art galleries, seeing Prague etc. etc. etc.
If I feel the need to know something about a topic then I'll go searching on the net and sometimes I'll stumble across something fabulous that leads to something else fascinating - that's how it works for me at the moment. Who knows, now that I've got some RSS feeds I might become a convert and devote regular time to reading blogs and looking out for new news, but something else will have to go to make room in my day and I'm just not prepared to give up coffee or chocolate yet (Randomly Silly Suggestion: I could check my feeds while drinking coffee and eating chocolate if I'm really careful)
This exercise has been useful to me in that I now know what RSS feeds are: I did wonder what the little buttons and symbols meant and had even tried in the past to get onto the SLV's Read Alert without understanding what I was trying to do and (consequently) with no success.
I can also see how RSS could be relevant and of use to our library patrons. I'm sure there are many who would like to be updated on our events and new titles, for example.
For the record, this is my public bloglines account:
http://www.bloglines.com/public/TIPtoes7
And now I'm going out to enjoy the Really Super Sunshine!

1 comment:

AnnaG said...

Hi Jill,
I am glad you are coming to Patrick Dodson! And that you read my Blog!!
I subscribed to a few feeds from Alia and State Library, and I am pretty sure the Centre for Youth Literature have one that might be ok, but I agree with your rave.
See you at Brunswick Town Hall!